The first commercial plantation of rubber, however, was started by European planters who formed the 'Periyar Syndicate' in 1902 at Thattekad near Alwaye in Kerala.According to historians, Mr John Joseph Murphy from Dublin ( Ireland ) came to India at a young age and set up the country's first commercial rubber plantation at Thattekkad near Alwaye in 1902.
He was the member of the 'Periyar Syndicate" (Members - J. J. Murphy, J. A. Hunter, K. E. Nicoll and G.Nicoll) - They started the first 'Hevea Rubber Estate' near Alwaye of Kerala on the banks of Periyar River.The people of kerala are highly obliged to Late Mr. John Joseph Murphy of Ireland for all these present prosperity through rubber and social development attained in kerala.
In 1904, further developments took place, particularly in Travancore, central Kerala. In that year,planting of rubber was started in 'Yendayar',wherin J J Murphy and his syndicate team bought the jungle land of the present Yendayar estate near Mundakayam from the Poonjar chief and started planting rubber. in'Eldorado' and'Mundakayam' estates. The Governments encouraged rubber cultivation by granting land, and the next six years saw considerable activity in Hevea planting. Between 1905 and 1907 kerala planted over 1100 acres (445 hectares) at Palapilly and Pudukad with rubber on the forest land obtained as grant from the Government. By 1910, Mundakayam had become the leading centre of rubber plantations in India, with an area of about 4000 hectares with total rubber cultivation in India exceeding 6000 hectares.